Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gems and Minerals from the National Museum of Natural History

I thought I'd take a break from my annual goal setting session to share some lovely and interesting gemstone and mineral photos with you. While we were waiting to see the butterfly exhibit, my husband and I enjoyed the Gem and Mineral exhibits in the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History. My favorite picture is above. It's a small section of a huge piece of what I suspect is amethyst quartz and people seemed to love touching it (and kids climbing upon it).
 I liked the fan like quality of the "rustic inclusions" in this nearly transparent piece of quartz.
 Malachite is one of my favorite minerals and I thought this pretty piece almost looked like a turtle.
This pink gem slice resembles a figure eight. They had an even more impressive and large slice in another display too. I think it's rhodochrosite.
Here are two more forms of malachite (the tall cactus like pieces in the background and the bubbly bowl like piece in the foreground).


I thought this white stone rembled a dragon. I took it in honor of my Castle Age friends.

I hope all of you enjoyed my mini photo tour of the Smithsonian's Gem and Mineral exhibit. There's far much more to see if you go in person and I think it's well worth a tour if you're in the area.

May God bless you!

Related posts:
Live Butterfly Exhibit Photos: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2014/01/happy-new-year-blessings-butterflies.html
Smithsonian's Garden Fest Photos: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/05/garden-fest-photos-from-smithsonian.html
Brian Dering's Aruba Wildlife Photos: http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/10/wildlife-in-aruba-photos-by-guest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment